In the spirit of David Letterman’s Top Ten… here are the top10 ways to ensure you are not invited back to speak at an event:
10. Spend the entire time you are on the panel eating snacks.
9. Interrupt the other speakers and monopolize the program (when on a panel).
8. Spend so much time reminiscing with your war stories you don’t cover all, or even most, of your topics.
7. Come unprepared and wing it.
6. Bow out of an event after committing to the program, without providing a replacement speaker of equal credentials and quality.
5. Present a canned Power Point that you use all the time, but doesnt really fit your topic.
4. Arrive at the event a few minutes before you present with a Power Point presentation without having made any Power Point arrangements in advance.
3. Read your outline or Power Point to the audience.
2. Present on a topic other than what was agreed upon.
And the number one way……
1. Show up late.